According to the official estimates nearly 19% of India’s population was already below poverty line. Additionally given the prolonged lockdowns, in the backdrop of COVID-19 pandemic, has affected the economy really badly. To the estimates of National Statistics Office (NSO), Indian Economy shrunk by 23.9% in the first quarter of the present financial year. In one estimate, only in the month of July 5 million salaried people lost their jobs. It is in this background that we would be looking into the correlation between Poverty & the Pandemic.
- India could see millions pushed into extreme poverty due to pandemic: World Bank analysis
- Shielding the poor from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Rebooting Economy VIII: COVID-19 pandemic could push millions of Indians into poverty and hunger
- Study warns of poverty surge to over 1 billion due to coronavirus
- The Pandemic Is Reversing Decades of Progress